Job search assistance
Careers New Zealand is the government agency that helps people to make informed decisions about employment, training and study. Telephone, website and face-to-face services are available to all New Zealanders. Face-to-face sessions are tailored to meet the needs of migrants and refugees. Careers New Zealand also have a web page created for new New Zealanders.
Careers New Zealand can advise and provide practical information about:
- Exploring local work trends, training options and pathways to work.
- What employers are looking for and job searching strategies.
- How to sell yourself, learning new interview techniques, improving CVs and covering letters.
- Identifying and addressing barriers to finding sustainable employment.
Visit the Careers New Zealand website or telephone 0800 222 733 for information and advice. Careers New Zealand has 17 offices throughout New Zealand. Phone 0800 222 733 to be connected to your local office.
Work and Income (Ministry of Social Development)
Work and Income is the part of the Ministry of Social Development, which provides income support and employment services to New Zealanders from over 190 locations throughout the country.
Work and Income offers a range of services for refugees and migrants. These include support to find a job and assistance to those in employment to make it easier to remain in work. Services available specifically for migrants and refugees include:
- tailored refugee and migrant work programmes, and
- employment initiatives linked with ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) providers.
For more information on the range of products and services available, view the Work and Income website.