Ambulances are provided by non-profit, community-based services. In some regions services are free; in others there may be a part-charge for emergency call-outs. Charges vary according to location.
Charges for St John's ambulance services are available on their website [PDF 1.34 Mb]
In Wellington ambulance services are provided by Wellington Free Ambulance.
A range of roles in the community
St John provides ambulance services for much of New Zealand's population. In Wellington, services are provided by Wellington Free Ambulance.
To call for an ambulance in an emergency phone 111
Ambulance officers are trained to help stabilise people who have had an accident or who have fallen ill. They also:
- Transport patients to hospital for admission and for outpatient treatment
- Transfers patients between hospitals or from hospital to home
- Work alongside police and fire services in emergency situations providing medical care
- Arrange and staff air ambulance flights and connections
- Monitor personal medical alarms